newlogo6
NEWbgNEWbgNEWbgNEWbgNEWbg

Friday, January 15, 2010

i hate pop-tart crusts.

Now, I know that some of you are thinking "what are they supposed to do, Janae, just let the delicious gooey faux-fruit filling gush out into the wrapper?" No. That is not what I am suggesting. I'm just saying I hate the edges of pop-tarts. Especially the super generic brand that was bought for a tour because we were on a budget and that is what we do, but no one likes generic brand pop-tarts (don't even pretend you do - you know that real ones are 300 times better) so we had a ton of boxes left over and everyone took one or two home and I haven't really gone grocery shopping since I've been back in the cities (6 days and counting) and before I left I was already eating everything possible because I didn't have time to go grocery shopping during finals week and generic brand pop-tarts are practically all I have left in my cupboard except for a few spices, stale tortilla chips, marshmallows and dry pasta, so it is what I happen to be consuming right now and it is bad.

Whatever, pop-tarts are bad for you anyways. No one should eat them if they want to be semi-healthy. And that is where the rant came from.

With all of this coverage on Haiti, I feel really silly for not even mentioning it yet. And then starting off this post with a bash on fake pop-tarts which probably made most of you click off your computers and put in a toaster strudel. But I am mentioning it now. If you haven't donated but want to, there are a few ways that I have been reading about that seem really wonderful.

You can text HAITI to 90999 to donate $10 to the American Red Cross. The money will be directly charged to your phone bill.

Partners in Health has a great reputation for helping with health care in Haiti and you can donate by going to their home website, or by going to their designated Haiti relief website, Stand With Haiti at standwithhaiti.org.

Another option is to support small businesses and Haiti relief by buying handmade goods. Each shop listed on this website is giving a percentage or all of the money that you spend towards Haiti relief.

Let's tackle both problems and never buy generic brand pop-tarts again while using the savings to help donate to Haiti. This post is coming off much more light-hearted than it probably should, but I'm sure you have all seen the destruction and devastating photos on the news, so there is no need for me to relay those here. And, just in case you haven't seen anything, CNN has an entire page dedicated to up-to-date stories, news, testimonials, photos, and everything else you want to know about the earthquake here. (Including an entire article on how money is the most important thing needed, and reputable organizations to donate to here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for being here! Comments are definitely encouraged. Let's learn from one another.