newlogo6
NEWbgNEWbgNEWbgNEWbgNEWbg

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Open road.

When I sat down to map out my summer plans, I realized that 11 of the next 13 weekends were going to include long drives out of town. This weekend I went back to where I started, my hometown of 400 in South Dakota.

The other thing of note is that almost every one of these weekends has me partaking in something wedding-related. I have nine weddings this year; yes, nine. It's insane and fantastic and emotional and financially draining all at the same time. Everyone I talk to who is older than me keeps telling me that this is my year. The year that all of my friends who have been in long-term relationships are tying the knot and ready to take on life as a two-some. I keep trying to tell them that these are only my high school friends! I have a feeling I'll have a couple of busy wedding seasons ahead of me.
The friend who got married yesterday is from my early high school days, when I didn't understand boys, when I thought I would be cool if I dressed punk, when I only wanted to hang out with boys if they were not from my hometown, but rather a town or two over. (People who grew up in small towns will understand that.)

She was the first person I ever tried tequila with; I was slouched in the passenger seat of her car, which was parked in a vacant lot alongside a few others. We had the works: salt, tequila, lime. We licked our hands, took the salt from the middle console and shook a little on the wet spot, poured a shot of the golden liquid and then snatched the lime from our laps. I almost threw up from the burn. We tried to take shots over and over again, willing ourselves to like it. She ended up getting the hang of it. To this day, I refuse to drink tequila.

One of the most selfish reasons I wanted to attend this wedding was because of her family. Without ever knowing it, they helped me through the most tumultuous years of high school. I went to prom with one of her brothers (and asked her other brother to go to prom with my best friend.) I stayed overnight often, hanging out in the hot tub until the wee hours of the morning, exchanging kisses with boys who shall not be named. I felt scandalous and safe all at the same time. They taught me not to take life so seriously and to let loose, something I still need to be reminded of.

I couldn't be happier for this couple and their family. They deserved a happy day, full of attention. I'm very fortunate to have been able to be a part of it!

4 comments:

  1. What sweet stories you just shared :) I would love to hear more!! I think I should start reflecting and writing down just small stories from my life that obviously had an impact on me. It's the small stuff, right? Happy Monday!

    http://fromfreyawithlove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I'm trying to make an effort to do this more often. :)

      Delete
  2. 9 weddings - wow! I grew up in a small town, completely understand about wanting to hang out with 'outsiders' - haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh - people from cities just don't quite understand it! I was always trying to date boys from other schools. :)

      Delete

Thanks for being here! Comments are definitely encouraged. Let's learn from one another.