newlogo6
NEWbgNEWbgNEWbgNEWbgNEWbg

Friday, May 18, 2012

Rhubarb Adventures

My mom came up this past weekend, and brought with her rhubarb that grows in her backyard. Once she left, I decided to use it and that's when I realized: I've never made anything with rhubarb without my parents by my side. I still forged through, wanting my first creation to be a simple rhubarb crisp. It turned out pretty good. I think what was lacking was my knowledge of exactly how long to let it bake. I have a gas oven, so I'm still trying to figure out what that means with regular oven times (it's always less for this particular, old gas oven.) Either way, good friends ate it!
My second attempt at using rhubarb was in rhubarb bread. I was feeling sick, so I came home from work and laid in bed for a few hours. Finally, I realized I had wasted most of my night and hadn't accomplished a thing. This is what I love about baking: you can decide to create something, and within a couple of hours at most, it's there. I've never made or eaten rhubarb bread before, but this turned out pretty good. I think I would add a bit of flower to the topping and maybe double it in the future, but the bread was very moist due to the Greek yogurt!

If you do use the recipe I've linked to, here are the changes I made: 
I added another 1/2 cup of rhubarb (because, well I had cut up too much)
I used Greek yogurt instead of milk (because, well I didn't have milk)
I put cinnamon in the batter, as well as in the topping (that's just because I'm all about cinnamon these days)
and I didn't put the topping on until the bread had been in the oven for 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for being here! Comments are definitely encouraged. Let's learn from one another.