newlogo6
NEWbgNEWbgNEWbgNEWbgNEWbg

Friday, May 25, 2012

On the job.

Nonprofits are like the summer. You have so many things planned, so many big ideas, and when it all comes down to it, it's a big, sticky, fantastic, frustrating, outrageous, people-filled time. Every day I end up learning something new. It might come from my coworkers. It might come from my students. Or, it might come from an assignment.
This past week, my nonprofit had our Annual Luncheon. This brings together hundreds of volunteers, donors, teachers and students to thank and honor one another for providing successful experiential curriculum that enhances student's business, career and financial literacy skills.
I was tasked with the job of ordering flowers for 60 centerpieces. The kicker? Each centerpiece had to come in at under $3.00. (Nonprofits are also constantly budgeting.) I ended up finding a wholesaler who could get me daisy poms for a pretty reasonable price. Throw in some bear grass, floral shears and a flair for design, and voila! We had centerpieces, for $2.28 a piece. I love a good bargain.
You can almost see the pops of yellow at a few of the back tables in this bottom photo. I'm not going to lie, I've never completely arranged flowers like this before! It was fun, but it's definitely not going to be a lifestyle change. It has, however, made me want to do my own flowers for my (someday, maybe) wedding!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for being here! Comments are definitely encouraged. Let's learn from one another.