newlogo6
NEWbgNEWbgNEWbgNEWbgNEWbg

Saturday, December 4, 2010

snow snow snow!

Hi there friends. Like my "I just dug my car out of the snow for the 3rd time today" hair? Because it's probably here to stay. Our nice little city in the Midwest is getting hit really hard today into tomorrow and this is literally the only time I wish that I didn't have a car in the city. I'm always behind on snow emergencies and what side of the road it is okay to park on, and where did we put that shovel again? and can we just find some salt, please, because I need to make it to ___(insert destination here)___ and fast! (To which my roommates or whoever happens to be around me at that time says, "Janae, there is absolutely no way you can make it to ___(insert destination here)___ in only ____(insert time I used to be able to get to destination when there wasn't a layer of ice and a foot of snow on the ground)____ .")

Alas, this is my life as of this moment, though. After I accepted my job, one of the first things that hit me was that I wouldn't be able to move out of this area for at least a year, most likely for many more! Don't get me wrong, I love the area, I adore the people, and I have so much fun getting lost on these streets that everyday ends up being a new adventure. However, on a day like today, when all you really want is to be able to go outside of the house, get in the car, and drive to ___(insert destination here) (and include ice cream and hot chocolate and friends and laughs at said destination, please)___without spending 20 minutes scraping snow and ice, well, it's a trying moment.

I think the worst part is that this is my 22nd winter and it still never ceases to amaze me. I was born during a blizzard, for goodness sakes! Honestly, the sheen the snow gives everything and its ability to wash away any ugliness and replace it with an iridescent white glistening layer is incredible. It has the feeling of the holidays. It feels like things can happen. It feels like home.

Now if only it could have that feeling AND clear roads, I'd be in heaven.

UPDATE: Saturday morning.
My entire neighborhood was having a little 'shoveling out time!' party at 8am today and dang it, I love a good party so I joined in. At least now I can cross off "go to the gym" on my to-do list. Also, this is what I look like after I wake up in the morning, scared my car got towed (it didn't!), and then proceed to shovel it and lots of sidewalks because neighbors, even ones you don't know, deserve clear sidewalks, right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for being here! Comments are definitely encouraged. Let's learn from one another.