newlogo6
NEWbgNEWbgNEWbgNEWbgNEWbg

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Travel.

If we live truly, we shall see truly. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Not everyone wants to travel the world, but most people can identify at least one place in the world they’d like to visit before they die. Where is that place for you, and what will you do to make sure you get there?
Author: Chris Guillebeau via #Trust30

I would truly like to go to a smattering of places. Honestly the hardest part of this prompt for me is choosing one. I would love to see any of these beaches, as a relaxing vacation staring out into the wide abyss that is the ocean, enjoying fresh fruity drinks and laying in the sand reading a book would basically be my version of heaven.

I would love to climb to the top of any mountains, especially this one, as I do have a bit of a thing for the song "Africa" by Toto. (Click here to listen if you have no idea what I'm talking about.)

I even want to see the exact opposite of sandy, fantastic beaches in the more desolate, yet (I assume) still serene space of the Grand Canyon.

What does this all mean? I'm a wanderer. I want to take in any place that will make me feel small, that will put things into perspective, where I can think and process and come up with new questions. I want to be able to breathe in deeply and remember what's important. I want to travel to understand the world, and my place within it. I don't want even a year to go by where I'm not exploring.

For example, last summer I had little money and only a part-time job. This could have truly deterred this curious spirit of mine, but instead I focused my sights on the wonderful locale that is the Twin Cities. With a good friend by my side, I explored Grand Avenue, read for over an hour in an alcove in Garrison Keillor's bookstore, gathered a group of friends to experience Movies in the Park, took in local and international art at the MIA, and strolled around and dipped my feet in many new lakes (Minnesota is the "Land of 10,000 Lakes," donchaknow.) We got to know one another better and realized just how fabulously diverse this place we call home can be.

Exploring new places is a way of life for me, instilled by my mother and her parents. I hope that never goes away.

Staying on task...to choose one place I really want to see as of this moment, I think it would have to be the Redwood National Forest in California. Hmm...even I'm surprised by this decision! I might have to start planning a trip for the fall. :)

Where would you go?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for being here! Comments are definitely encouraged. Let's learn from one another.