newlogo6
NEWbgNEWbgNEWbgNEWbgNEWbg

Thursday, June 2, 2011

One strong belief.

It is easy in the world to live after the world’s opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude. - Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self-Reliance
The world is powered by passionate people, powerful ideas, and fearless action. What’s one strong belief you possess that isn’t shared by your closest friends or family? What inspires this belief, and what have you done to actively live it?
(Author: Buster Benson)

This is a very hard question to answer, as I have built quite a diverse group of friends in Minneapolis. Many of my friends' beliefs are different from my families, and I lie somewhere in the middle with most of them. One of the largest things I feel that varies is religion. I grew up going to church every single weekend with my family. It was a natural part of my life. I went to Sunday school, participated in a TEC (Teens Encounter Christ) weekend and even started leading younger Sunday school classes while I was in high school.

Now, I attend a bit more liberal service; however where the belief comes in is during times of talking with atheist friends. It can definitely always be a topic of conversation, but thankfully we do not make it a point to focus on. Instead we enjoy one another's company and leave the debates out of it, which I am very thankful for.

A somewhat related issue is the topic of gay marriage. I am in favor of all people, regardless of their sexual orientation, being able to claim and legally state that they love another person. I have friends and family members who would disagree with me on this.

I think the way in which I live this is by trying to educate those who do not believe in gay marriage. I still know people who use the term "gay" in a derogative way. This is not okay. In college, I had many friends in the GLBT group, recruited them to come on my community service tour,  and had a good friend as the Community Advisor (sometimes called RA's) of the GLBT floor in the residence halls. I support all of my friends, no matter what their sexual orientation is. And, if I would be in the cities that weekend, I would definitely be attending the Twin Cities Pride festival in Minneapolis June 25-26. (I have a class reunion/family coming in from out of state.) If you will be in the area, learn more here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for being here! Comments are definitely encouraged. Let's learn from one another.